user profile
Sign in
user profile

2 products returned to me with pieces missing, but they was not when sent in?

by Seller_4K2qdiWADHllq

Hi,

My last 2 orders that was sent back to me that amazon said was unsellable as they was defective has come to me where the item is in perfect condition, but there are pieces missing.

1 is a pack of what should be 25 perfect black buttons, but has come back to me with 21 perfect buttons instead, nothing wrong with the item apart from 4 buttons is now missing, was not when I sent it in and the packs are zip lock so can easily open them, take some out and then reclose them.

The other product should be 50 rubber rings, the pack has come back to me with just 21 rubber rings in it, the rubber rings are not defective at all, just got more than half the pack now missing which was not when I sent it in also in the same zip lock bags.

I feel the customers have had the product, used what they need and then sent back and had full refund. I put in a case to amazon about this saying this and they just come back and said no reimbursement has been given as they are unsellable and defective, well yes obviously they are now as someone has taken some of the contents out of them and then closed the packs back up and I’m the one that takes the hit from the possible theft.

Tags: Missing
25 replies
25 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_4sL4COB3CN00X
In reply to: Seller_4K2qdiWADHllq’s post

This happens all the time to sellers on Amazon. Buyers can be, opportunists, and it looks like you make it really easy for them by sending the product in a zip lock bag.

You could try sending your products in tamper-proof envelope, even a small envelope that needs to be ripped open would be a deterrent as they could not return it as they received it.

It’s frustrating and its happened to us many times with many higher value items, you just have to reduce opportunity where you can and account for the potential of these returns into your pricing.

user profile
Seller_2Su3bcJXQR0sO

I’ve always wondered; what’s the point of us having a Return Policy when Amazon overrides it!

Take a photo of the returned goods. Deny refund, partial refund or full refund.

user profile
Seller_JB8wPCk9zkyad

HI OP,

With the greatest of respect, and with the best intentions;

With the greatest of respect, what is your part in all of this ?

Surely, you now know that this is an issue, so what are you going to do about it ?

How are you going to make your packaging less easy to open, more tamperproof, and put off opportunists, who think it is just easy …

What can you do here to lessen your exposure to future repeats ?

Every time I have been " scammed ", I took it as a challenge, and learnt from it.

What can you learn from this, and change for the future ?

Good Luck !

user profile
Seller_4EP71c7vPg4eY

I trust Del and Rodney more then the buyer on here and amazon

user profile
Seller_gXhWKJ06yF3yd

i would simply deduct 50% or more form the refund saying there are not the amount originally sent being returned.

user profile
Seller_6sxtIS0RbZ5k7

Maybe you could use the unsaleable packs, and ones where you yourself have noticed that one is damaged, to create another ASIN with half the amount in? If nothing else these customers have proven there is a demand for it!

user profile
Seller_rgqzY6oIqUqWE

Would it be possible for you to purchase a heat seal machine and package your items in a ‘clip top’ (not sure on the official name) see through package, on the basis that you pack/check each package yourself? That way the customer can see the contents within without opening and to open would be breaking the seal. I purchased one relatively cheap (£30). Maybe a possible solution. Good luck.

user profile
Seller_DkNNcNg8XVPTT

We use cellophane peel and seal bags, and put the sticker for the FBA barcode over the seal to act as a tamper-proof seal - you have to tear across the sticker to open the product. It’s better than nothing and seems to work well for us. Is that something you could do?

user profile
Seller_ae51e0CJoHqCX

There are all sorts of things you can try and do to negate this sort of thing but you also have to consider the additional costs against the times it has happened and just have to put it down to experience.
It is annoying and modern day shop lifting but it is what it is and you are not 100 percent sure that it was the customer that has removed some of the contents. It could be from anyone who has handled the product in between from the point it lands in the fulfillment center The customer may have returned it because the package was short for instance.

I once did a bespoke job with printed designs on and the customer stated they had received them blank. I personally spent time doing the design and making the print and then packed the parcel, it would be impossible to send these out blank. I asked for proof ie a photograph in which they would not provide and I then offered for them to return but instead they entered it into an A-Z and won. Eventually I got the decision overturned whereby Amazon still granted the claim to the customer but offered to remove it from my A-Z. metric Would you believe, I still had to fund it.

I guess the moral is that the more you sell, the more of these anomalies come up but you just can’t do much about it. I have a budget in mind when I am selling stuff in FBA fo goods that you will lose whether they get damaged in fulfillment, customer claiming non receipt and Amazon not reimbursing when they should, returns etc. If you fall below the budget then happy days, if not then you have to consider raising the price or changing procedures.

user profile
Seller_VJFloi7Cs0iaR

I would really like to empathise with you, but I can’t.

This is just one of the things you have to swallow with FBA.

We literally get a pallet of returns back every week and at least half of them are used, missing, broken, tried and didn’t like or plain just completely different items that we don’t even sell.

All of this is customer damaged stock that has little or no value to us anymore.

Amazon doesn’t care, as the staff have to meet quotas, most of the time, the returns are not even checked by Amazon, they are refunded before the buyer posts it back.

You MUST account for this kind of thing in your pricing, every solid business model relies on this.

Go to original post